Kidspiration® 3 uses the proven principles of visual learning to:
- strengthen reading, word recognition and vocabulary
- give students engaging ways to make sense of and document their understanding of texts
- connect reading to writing and develop writing skills, including evidence-based writing
- build conceptual understanding in math using on-screen manipulatives
The newest version of Kidspiration offers exciting new capabilities including 3000+ symbols, keyword symbol search, Word Guide, enhanced auditory support, new visual math tools, and more curriculum materials. These added functionalities work together to give students more opportunities to explore new concepts, discover meaning and express themselves with pictures, text, numbers and spoken words.
New capabilities strengthen reading and writing skills
Kidspiration builds students' word recognition, vocabulary and comprehension using visual tools that combine pictures, text and spoken words.
Expanded symbol library3000+ symbols offer visual support for concepts taught in K-5 language arts, social studies and science curriculum, providing students with more opportunities to express themselves visually.
Symbol searchStudents search for symbols by keyword to find just the right picture, image or symbol to express their thoughts and ideas.
Now Kidspiration extends the proven principles of visual learning to mathematics. Combining the hands-on learning power of manipulatives with all the added benefits of computer interactivity, Kidspiration's new Math View and visual math tools help learners build a strong mathematical foundation to understand math concepts.
Five visual math tools
Kidspiration's visual math tools focus on the core conceptual foundations of counting, place value, computation and geometric thinking. Students build number sense and spatial reasoning and understand the meaning behind the four basic operations while communicating their thinking with words, numbers and math symbols.
Kidspiration Color Tiles™
Students use Kidspiration Color Tiles to count and compare, explore properties of number and operations, and develop computation strategies. With Kidspiration Color Tiles, students learn to solve area and perimeter problems and model number patterns and the four basic operations.
Kidspiration Pattern Blocks®
Students use Kidspiration Pattern Blocks to investigate the properties and attributes of shapes through composition and decomposition. They produce patterns and tessellations, explore similarity and congruence, experiment with symmetry, and represent fractions.
Kidspiration Base Ten Blocks®
Students use Kidspiration Base Ten Blocks to understand place value and strengthen number sense. With Kidspiration Base Ten Blocks, they count, compare, group, partition and create equivalent representations of whole numbers and decimals. Kidspiration Base Ten Blocks also introduce students to procedures for operations on multi-digit numbers.
Students use Kidspiration Fraction Tiles to compare and order fractions and to understand equivalent fractions. They find common denominators, translate between improper fractions and mixed numbers, and model basic operations with fractions.
Kidspiration Fraction Boxes™
Students use Kidspiration Fraction Boxes to represent fractions visually to build a strong conceptual foundation for future work with fractions. Students compare, order, simplify and find equivalent fractions. They use Kidspiration Fraction Boxes to model basic operations with like and unlike denominators. Kidspiration Fraction Boxes also introduce students to improper fractions, mixed numbers and representing word problems.
New features and functions make Kidspiration's math tools easy to use
- Kidspiration Math SuperGrouper® helps students count, sort and show operations visually; teachers and students label Math SuperGroupers as a conceptual building block for word problems
- Math Text Boxes document math operations using words, numbers and structured frames; the Math Text Box supports writing fractions, division problems and vertical math notations.
- The Step Workspace shows progression of work with a sequential work area to document steps while problem-solving
- The Cross-Out Stamp gives students a visual indicator to use when they mark, take away or remove items
- Multiple pages in a document streamline workspace management.
New educator-developed resources support curriculum integration
Kidspiration now includes more curriculum content, new teacher tools and standards-aligned lesson plans in language arts, math, science and social studies developed specifically for grades K-5, along with 150+ activity templates.
- The enhanced quick-start activity templates give teachers classroom-ready resources and provide a launching pad to customize and create lessons for individual learners, small groups and the whole class.
- Tutorials provide a fast and effective way to introduce teachers to visual learning with Kidspiration so they're successful from the start.
- Teacher Resources Online provides additional lesson plans and activities.
Additional support for ELL and ESL students
Kidspiration uses proven visual learning strategies to build students' vocabulary and English comprehension with integrated Picture and Writing Views, the new Word Guide, enhanced audio support, the new symbol search and the expanded symbol library. In addition, Kidspiration emphasizes the development and use of independent learning strategies, such as pictorial representation of thoughts and concepts. The new Word Guide includes an extensive sight vocabulary list, which aligns with Fry's Instant Word List, Dolch Word List and TESL vocabulary. Read more about how Kidspiration supports ELL and ESL students.